Chartered Professional Accountants

Strength Behind Numbers  ™

217 Speers Road, Suite 12, 

Oakville  ON  L6K 0J3

Committed| Trusted | Proactive

Accountants, accountant, CPA, Tax

Who we are?

Sunil and Nita LLP, Chartered Professional Accountants, is a full service accounting firm providing personal/corporate tax, accounting, business advisory and bookkeeping services. We are a trusted name. Our strength is accurate work and building long-term relationships. We take time to know you and your business. We customize solutions to meet your business needs. Our goal is to take care of all your accounting and tax matters so that you have full attention to grow your business. We are affordable and accessible whenever you need us.  

 As Chartered Professional Accountants, we go beyond analyzing just numbers. We find opportunities behind them for your business. We are not only just another accounting firm, but also a valued business partner. Our “Strengths Behind Numbers  ™”  business statement guarantees accurate results and higher standard to ethical business practices.

accountants, oakville

Why us?

There are accountants everywhere providing same services, then why you should choose us. Here are some reasons:  

1. Member of leading Canadian accounting professional association i.e. Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA)  

2. Constantly updating the knowledge to bring you best possible solutions 

3. No hidden fee or short cut  

4. Committed to be available whenever you need us   

5. Help you in growing your business by coming alongside as partner at no extra costs

6. Knowledge of information technology (IT) to promote automation resulting costs savings 

7. International business experience      

8. Affordable Bookkeeping & Tax Planning

9. Experience in dealing with CRA

10. Year round support 

11. We will make sure all deductions are included in your tax return

12. Virtual Accountants (ask us how?)


food for thought

How to Avoid CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) Audit?

Chances are that you know somebody who does not report all his/her income in tax return or report extra expenses to get higher refund. Also, most of the people are not interested in reporting the tax evasion to CRA. There are serious consequences for filing incorrect tax return. 

We suggest to remember following point to keep tax man at bay:

  1. Report all your income. Check CRA web site to make sure all T slips (i.e. income slips) have been reported. Our research shows most of the times mistakes happen in calculating taxable capital gains, 
  2. Claim tax credit correctly. There are some tax credits CRA loves to review such as tuition fee transfer, significant donation amount, and travel expense details etc.,
  3. Claim only realistic expenses. For example, if you claim auto expenses over 90% as business expense, CRA may ask you to show travel log book.
  4. Showing business loss all the time is not advisable. CRA understands that not every new business makes profit in first few years but you cannot have a business to create loss. 
  5. Make sure your HST calculations are accurate and returns are up to date 
  6. Remember, once CRA finds something wrong in your return, you will be in their radar for long time. Let us know if we can help you to keep your taxes on check.

CPA, Bookkeeping, tax

New Canadian

When you decide to become a Canadian resident, you deemed to have disposed of and re-acquired any property owned immediately prior to establishing residency in Canada at the fair market value of the property at that time. However, this change does not trigger any tax liability in Canada instead fair market value established a new cost base for the property. Certain types of property are excluded though. This is important for tax planning point of view. For example, it would be beneficial in disposing property if the result is a loss to offset gains or income in the country from which you are emigrating.

bookkeeping, cga, tax

Foreign property reporting

Individual, Partnership or corporate foreign property, such as shares, bank accounts, and real property with total value (at any time) more than $100,000 must be reported in form T1135. This forms needs to be filed annually by April 30 of the following year which it relates. The penalty for not filling or late filling T1135 is greater of $100, and $25 per day to a maximum of 100 days. Additional penalty will apply if failure to file was done intentionally.

What is Foreign Accrual Property Income (FAPI)?

FAPI stands for foreign accrual property income and comes into play when taxpayers own a foreign corporation that is earning passive income. Passive income includes royalties, interest, rent etc. If a taxpayer incorporates a foreign company, and has that company buy a rental property offshore, most people think if they do not repatriate any of the income (i.e. sending money to themselves), the money the company receives is not subject to tax in Canada. This assumption is incorrect. For Example, A foreign corporation, owned by a Canadian resident spends $500,000 on a rental property in the Bahamas. FAPI will now come into play.

If a corporation earns rental income, that income is taxed in your hands personally here in Canada. If the passive (rental) income is being earned in a country that has a tax treaty with Canada, then taxpayers would receive tax credits in the amount already paid in the other country

However, if a foreign corporation's main business is selling and renting homes then income would be considered active income if corporation employs more than five full time employees to earn income. There are separate active income test in order to avoid FAPI.  We would be glad to help you if you want to know more about FAPI tax.

You can deduct home office expenses from your salary (i.e. employment income)

If your employer requires you to pay expense to earn employment income then you can deduct most of your employment expense on line 229 of your personal Income tax return. You should maintain a good record keeping of all your expenses.  Your employer must complete and sign form T2200 (Declaration of Condition of Employment) which you need to attach with your tax return. Depending upon your circumstances, you may be able to deduct following expenses:

  • Home office expenses 
  • Accounting and legal fee
  • Advertisement and promotion
  • Allowable motor vehicle expenses
  • Food, beverage, and entertainment expenses 
  • Lodging
  • Parking 
  • Supplies 
  • Other related expenses

What is difference between Rental or Business Income?

Sometime it is difficult to determine whether rental income from property or from business.  The most important factors in determining income source are the number and kinds of services you provide for your tenants.  It is property income if you are earning income from property by renting space and providing basic services only which includes heat, light, parking and laundry services. If you provide additional services to tenants such as cleaning, security, and meal then you may be carrying on business. Bottom line is, more services you provide, the greater the chance that the rental operation is a business

What is Tax Free Section 85 rollover?

You started your business as proprietor and over the year your business has grown. You want to incorporate a company to optimize your tax savings. Section 85 of The Income Tax Act allows you to transfer property (in proprietorship business) to your corporation without any immediate tax impact. This transfer is called “rollover” which allows you to avoid immediate capital gain taxes.   For Example, You transfer a capital property to your corporation. The fair market value (FMV) at the time of transfer is $100,000 which you purchased  at $25,000. You incorporated a company and received 100 common shares in the corporation and elected to transfer the property at $25,000 (cost) to the corporation. By this section 85 rollover, you will not pay capital gain tax on $75,000 gain (i.e. FMV - $100,000 minus cost $25,000). The corporation’s cost of the property will be $25,000 and the cost of 100 common shares will be $25,000.  Please note that 85 rollover is a defferal of capital gain tax rather than complete exemption from tax. For more info, please contact us.

Joint Tenancy vs. Probate Fee

Property can be owned as joint tenancy. On the death of one joint owner, the property held in joint tenancy normally passes by right of survivorship to the surviving owner which is normally not considered part of the estate of the deceased joint owner. In this situation, the property can be transferred without probate and is not subject to probate fees.  Please contact us to know more.

Subscribe for Monthly tax update

Contact Us





Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Saturday: By appointment

Sunday: By appointment

client portal for secure file upload

Information contained and accessed on this site (the “Site”) provided by the Sunil and Nita LLP is for general guidance and is intended to offer the user general information of interest. The information provided is not intended to replace, serve or substitute for any advisory, tax or other professional advice, consultation or service